Sunday, January 24, 2016

Here Is An Example Of Just How Crazy The Department Of Health Really Is. Just Madness!

This appeared a day or so ago.

NQPHN kicks off consultation on My Health Record rollout

Northern Queensland Primary Health Network (NQPHN) will next week begin the roll-out for the trial of the $485m opt-out My Health Record system set to revolutionise the national health system.
In November last year, NQPHN was selected as one of only two PHNs in Australia to trial the Federal Government’s new “opt-out” My Health Record for around 1 million Australians, as part of the planned future of health.
The new system – changed from opt-in to opt-out – will see Australians get easier access to their medical records and be at less risk under a revamped e-health system.
All people in northern Queensland will be provided with a My Health Record unless they choose to not have one created.
On 27 and 28 January, Department of Health representatives, along with the national evaluation firm Siggins Miller, will visit Cairns and the Tablelands with NQPHN staff as the first stage of consultation on the implementation plan with the community, local clinicians and other health experts in the region.
NQPHN Chairman Trent Twomey said next week’s extensive consultations in Cairns and Mareeba would crucially reach a wide and targeted audience in the local health industry.
“We’ll be hosting separate sessions for allied health, aged care and mental health professionals, as well as general practitioners, pharmacists and Aboriginal Medical Services staff,” said Mr Twomey.
“We’re also looking forward to cooperative planning with local Hospital and Health Services – this is a significant step in improving connected care between acute and primary care in northern Queensland.
“These sessions with the Department of Health’s Digital Health Division will be an opportunity for health industry experts and community members to share their valuable insight and feedback about our region’s needs and ways in which allied health can interact with My Health Record.
“Their feedback will directly inform the implementation plan and delivery of My Health Record.
“It’s a special opportunity to run the trial, which will begin this year and affect about 670,000 people in North Queensland – it’s a significant achievement for the region.
“It’s also a great honour to be chosen as one of only two PHNs in the country to deliver this trial, and is great news for North Queensland residents.
“We feel that our membership, location and regional demographics make NQPHN an ideal trial site for the proposed changes to My Health Record.
“We are the fourth-largest PHN in terms of geographical size, and the rural and remote nature of our region reinforces the need for a functional electronic health system.
“It’s a huge opportunity to tangibly and meaningfully improve the connectedness of care for our community, especially in improving health outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
“We’re looking forward to play a key role in improving the flow of information, decreasing duplication, and helping doctors and pharmacists make more informed decisions that will lead to better patient outcomes.”
Mr Twomey said the new opt-out system can help patients get the right treatment faster, safer and easier.
“Health providers will be able to access a summary of a patient’s important health information together in one, easily accessible place,” he said.
“It will provide an overview of a patient’s health journey and their latest health information, as well as important documents such as discharge summaries from hospital, results, allergies, medication summaries and advance care plans.
“Patients also have a space to make their own notes on their health, providing the opportunity to tell their health story once, and in one place.
“It will help ensure each patient gets the best treatment, wherever they are and whichever health provider they go and see.”
NQPHN and Nepean Blue Mountains PHN are the only chosen organisations to deliver all-inclusive trials of the Government’s new My Health Record.
NQPHN/Federal Government implementation consultation sessions (27-28 January)
Wednesday 27 January – Cairns
9am-11am – Allied Health professionals
12pm-2pm – MyHealth Record Implementation Committee
2.30pm-3pm – Tropical Australia Academic Health Centre Committee
3pm-5pm – Mental Health professionals
6pm-8pm – General Practices
Thursday 28 January – Mareeba
8am-10am – Rural Forum
Thursday 28 January – Cairns
12pm-2pm – Medical Specialists
2.30pm-4pm – Aboriginal Medical Service Advisory Group
6pm-8pm – Pharmacists
----- End Extract.
The release is not dated but it was published to the web here:
So with about eight days’ notice a range of clinicians are to be give two hours consultation of the Government’s e-Health plan and its implications for all their patients.
A lucky 670,000 people are going so somehow acquire a blank e-Health record - filled up with information over which they have no control from Government databases and then all is going to be well from that day forward with their care if you believe the spiel! It is noteworthy that there does not seem to be any scheduled public consultation. I wonder how that works?
Please read this all closely and think how many unanswered questions there are!
This is non-consultation on an evidence free thought bubble from a totally impractical bureaucracy.
What a prescription for failure!
David.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are pleased to announce that we have been given a bucket load of Federal cash and look forward to receiving more in the near future. This cash injection more than compensate for the selling on my soul.

Anonymous said...

Engage consumers in designing clinical needs then engage clinicians regarding consumer registration, sounds like a good strategy, almost as good as having a banker run the design and implement ion and. Tax office CIO run the strategy.

Anonymous said...

The cash injection will be to enhance the self-preservation of the PHN, its Board, Management and staff, by minimizing expenditures and service. Any actually expenditures made will be done on 'projects' like this to enhance their resumes, and prospects of staff employment elsewhere before, or in anticipation of, the PHN imploding. What benefit the clinicians, patients and taxpayers gain is secondary or even just incidental. The rationale is further intensified by the likelihood of budget cuts given the reduction in revenue this year and overall economic decline... We would like to be accused of being cynical here, but this is based on past and recent experience.

Anonymous said...

Who remembers this?

http://www.australiandoctor.com.au/news/latest-news/gp-group-deleted-from-primary-health-network

GP group 'deleted' from primary health network
Paul Smith | 24 September, 2015 |

"Three state hospital services and the Pharmacy Guild of Australia have removed a group representing some 250 GP from one of the largest primary health networks in the country.

FNQ Docs was a key part of the consortium that made a successful bid to run the Northern Queensland Primary Healthcare Network.

But three months after the network started operating, the doctors' group — which supports local GPs — says it has had virtually no contact with its management.

Now the network has changed its constitution to "delete" FNQ Docs as foundation members altogether.

Bizarrely, the network has just five members: three are state hospital services and the fourth is the pharmacy guild."

Bernard Robertson-Dunn said...

This whole initiative has the hallmarks of naive system development project management.

If you don't understand what you are doing run some workshops to "gather requirements". In this case they are dressing it up as "consultation".

There is a body of knowledge that says gathering requirements only works with the most simple of problems. Health records most certainly are not simple.

Anything that is complex or wicked and the requirements gathering approach will result in failure.

Anonymous said...

The release says:
1. trial the Federal Government’s new “opt-out” My Health Record
Which part is mew?
- the name has been changed - so that's 'new'
- opt-in has been changed to "opt-out" - so that's 'new'.

Nothing else is 'new' unless the system has been redesigned and if it hasn't then there is nothing of substance which can be described as 'new'. If that's the case it's more of the same.

If the doctors don't use it then it won't be used!!!
For the doctors to use it it has to be usable - it wasn't last time so why will it be this time around if nothing has changed?




Anonymous said...

What is the 'PURPOSE' of these "extensive consultations"?

Are they simply a camouflaged sales exercise ie. to sell the message the MyHealth Record is ready to accept your input?

Are they an attempt to find out what the users want in a Health Record?

The former is blatantly misleading. The latter has been done many times before - so why do it again - has everything that went before,including submissions ad infinitum, been lost?

If the CONSULTATION SESSIONS are to demonstrate to the audience what can be done, how the system works, how easy it is to use, how it can help me, how useful will be the information, how the information will appear in the record - then I for one am all for it. DEMONSTRATE WHAT YOU'VE GOT I SAY. That's the only way you will get me to encourage my patients to stay enrolled.

Bernard Robertson-Dunn said...

If they were being truthful they would make clear that:

* The mHR is not to be relied on for clinical use. (Health's words)

* You cannot control who sees your mHR, only the institution (Health's words)

* Audit logs do not show who has accessed your mHR, only the institution (Health's words)

* Once a health institution downloads data from your mHR, you lose whatever small amount of control you had over it (Health's words)

* Law Enforcement and Revenue protection agencies can legally and without warrant or notification to anyone, including you, access your data if they can convince the System Operator that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary (Section 70 of the legislation)

I bet they don't.

Anonymous said...

If you don't understand what you are doing run some workshops to "gather requirements". In this case they are dressing it up as "consultation".

AND ALSO retain Siggins Miller to give some semblance of credibility to the "consultation" bearing in mind that they do not seem to have any practical experience in implementing complex healthIT systems in any of the core health domain like - medical practices, aged care, community pharmacies, hospitals, pathology and imaging!

Anonymous said...

IMHO no-one’s mHR should be made active (even though it has been registered) until I take some definitive action to activate the record. Now that I have been compulsorily registered for the mHR under the new opt-out arrangements I would like to know how I can opt-out.
1. Will I receive notification advice via Australia Post that I am now registered under the new Government arrangements?
2. Will my mHR remain inactive until I take some action to ‘activate’ my record?
3. Will the notification advice show me all the information already uploaded into my mHR?
4. Will the notification advice clearly inform me how I can deregister / withdraw from the mHR?
5. When I am deregistered will my mHR be completely erased or will it still be held in the system away from ‘public’ view?
6. Will I receive notification advice via Australia Post that my mHR has been fully deregistered?

Anonymous said...

David, I find it somewhat curious that the Department has selected the NQPHN and BMPHN to participate in the opt-out trails of the MHR without any information being publicly available (so it would seem) to show who is the governing body speaking on behalf of these PHN’s.

Why aren’t the Board Members shown up front on the NQPHN and NBMPHN web sites? Presumably these two PHNs do have a governing body – a Board of Directors!

Anonymous said...

"Why aren’t the Board Members shown up front on the NQPHN and NBMPHN web sites?"

I have been asking myself the same question here in the Blue Mountains. If the PHN is wanting me to participate with my patients in this new opt-out system I need to know who the PHNs Directors are who are responsible for overseeing this roll out in my area as it has the potential to impact my colleagues and our practice. If or when things go wrong we need to know that there are people, other than bureaucrats deep in the bowels of Canberra health department, that we can turn to for help.

Jane Connolly said...

Board Members for North QLD PHN http://professionals.primaryhealth.com.au/board-of-directors/ Their website is split into "For You" and"For Health Providers" which might cause some confusion.

Anonymous said...

I agree, it certainly might cause some confusion but more importantly it says to the "For You" people that information about Directors is none of their business - I beg to differ. Many thanks Jane for pointing to where the information is hidden - very helpful.