Friday, December 09, 2016

It Doesn’t Look Like We Can Keep ePAS out Of The News. Surely Soon?

We had another breakout of ePAS news last week.
First we had this:

Builders claim Royal Adelaide Hospital delayed by records fault

  • The Australian
  • 12:00AM November 30, 2016

Meredith Booth

Builders of the troubled $2.3 billion Royal Adelaide Hospital twice requested extra time to complete the project because of problems with the government’s electronic patient record system, parliament has been told.
However, South Australian Health Minister Jack Snelling yesterday insisted the flawed records system had not contributed to delays, but conceded it would not be ready to be fully rolled out in the new hospital.
More here:
This was soon followed up by this:

SA Health's EPAS system auto-deleting follow-up appointments

By Allie Coyne on Nov 30, 2016 8:31AM

Auditor finds problematic workflow.

Follow-up appointments for discharged Adelaide patients are being automatically deleted on a daily basis due to configuration issues with South Australia's EPAS system, the state's auditor general has revealed.
The maligned $422 million EPAS platform has long been a challenge for the state due to cost overruns, usability issues, and delays. Earlier this month it suffered a nine-hour outage across three major Adelaide hospitals.
In its annual report into the state health department's IT systems tabled yesterday, the SA audit office revealed user error with the system had resulted in follow-up appointments for 258 discharged patients being cancelled between June and August this year.
EPAS handles appointments for things like medical imaging, pathology, medications, general care and diet.
The office found around five medical imaging treatment orders for patients were being cancelled on a daily basis at the Repatriation General Hospital and Queen Elizabeth Hospital specifically.
The EPAS system is configured to automatically cancel future treatment orders when a patient is discharged. System users are required to manually tick a box in order to change from the 'standard' setting and retain appointments.
More here:
And this:

EPAS medical records software deletes 258 treatment orders for Adelaide patients

November 30, 2016
South Australia's troubled electronic patient records system is under fire again after it deleted treatment appointments for 258 discharged patients.
A report from the Auditor-General's Department shows 258 EPAS treatment orders were cancelled between the end of June and mid-August after the patients had been discharged from hospital.
The orders relate to follow-up appointments such as X-ray services.
South Australia's Salaried Medical Officers Association (SASMOA) president David Pope said it was a serious mishap.
"We don't know what's happened to each one of those people who have been victims of these cancellations," Dr Pope said.
"Each one of them will require a very careful follow-up by clinicians to make sure that all the needed tests have actually been done or are going to be done and that all needed care is being provided."
The report comes weeks after EPAS suffered several outages at major hospitals and adds to a series of mishaps, setbacks and failures that have occurred since the $422-million American-designed system was rolled out to metropolitan hospitals from 2013.
Dr Pope said the Government should consider starting from scratch with another option.
More here:
And finally we have this:

State Government deliberately delaying new RAH to ‘cover up’ EPAS medical records failings, builder claims in $800 million lawsuit

Exclusive — State Political Editor Daniel Wills, The Advertiser
November 30, 2016 9:09am
Subscriber only
index&t_product=AdelaideNow&td_device=desktopCLAIMS the State Government has deliberately delayed opening the new Royal Adelaide Hospital to “cover up” failings in a troubled-plagued computer system crucial to its operation are the basis of an $800 million-plus lawsuit its builder is preparing.
The Advertiser last week revealed the consortium that oversees delivery of the new RAH is gearing up for a $4 billion countersuit against the Government if its contract is torn up, and has now obtained new documents showing the builders are compiling a separate case.
The SA Health Partnership group delivering the $2.1 billion project comprises several companies, including the Hansen Yuncken Leighton Contractors Joint Venture, which is responsible for building the biggest infrastructure project in SA’s history.
In a legal document delivered to SAHP on November 8, the joint venture spells out grounds on which it plans to seek hundreds of millions of dollars in damages from a Government it says is making “ransom demands” and acting unlawfully.
More here:
Passed on without comment!
David.

No comments: