The Orwells name and shame organizations, technologies and people that have invaded or threaten to invade privacy.
The Smiths (Orwell's '1984' hero who opposed Big Brother) acknowledge people who protect us from privacy invasions.
We invite nominations for the Orwells and the Smiths. Details about how to nominate are set out on http://www.privacy.org.au/bba. Nominations close on 11 October 2009.
The Orwell Awards for this year are for the Categories of:
1. Worst Corporate Invader - for a corporation that has shown a blatant disregard for privacy.
2. Worst Public Agency or Official - for a government agency or official that has shown a blatant disregard for privacy.
3. Most Invasive Technology - for a technology that is particularly privacy invasive.
4. Boot in the Mouth - for the 'best' (most appalling!) quote on a privacy-related topic.
The Smith Awards are for the Categories of:
1. Best Privacy Guardian - for a meritorious act of privacy protection or defence.
2. Lifetime Achievement - for outstanding services to privacy protection.
This year, for the first time, the public will be invited to vote for the winners of the 4 Orwells and the 2 Smiths at the BBA2009 Awards held concurrently in pubs in at least Sydney and Canberra. Details of the venues will be available after nominations close.
----- End Release
For those who are interested here is an opportunity to really get your views across.
Who is likely to top DoHA and NEHTA with their present planned approach to Health Identifiers? I am sure there are others who might give them a run for their money. – Consider your view and have your input to the process!
Go for it!