- EHR systems are unavailable because of a power outage or other incident;
- An EHR malfunctions;
- An individual incorrectly uses an EHR system; or
- An EHR system interacts with another health IT system component incorrectly.
- Identification of best practices for design and development of EHR systems;
- Better monitoring and analysis of problems from the field; and
- Development of a culture of high reliability.
MORE ON THE WEB
- "Safe Electronic Health Record Use Requires a Comprehensive Monitoring and Evaluation Framework" (Sittig/Classen, Journal of the American Medical Association, 2010).
- "Incomplete EHR Adoption: Late Uptake of Patient Safety and Cost Control Functions" (Menachemi et al., American Journal of Medical Quality, 2007).
- "Decrease in Hospital-Wide Mortality Rate After Implementation of a Commercially Sold Computerized Physician Order Entry System" (Longhurst et al., Pediatrics, 2010).
Clinical Safety Assessment Program (CSAP) developed for NEHTA
e-Health authority defends work record
- by: Karen Dearne
- From: The Australian
- November 09, 2011