- The Australian
- April 14, 2015
Tuesday, April 21, 2015
This Really Is A Travesty and Needs To Be Addressed Quickly For The Sake Of The Health Sector In General.
We had this appear last week.
The Abbott government has yet to decide on the future of its troubled $1 billion Personally Controlled Electronic Health Records system almost 500 days since a review into the PCEHR was conducted.
Doctors were fiercely against adopting the PCEHR for various reasons, including security and privacy concerns, and a poorly structured incentive scheme for clinicians.
On December 20, 2013, then health minister Peter Dutton confirmed receiving the report from the review team, led by UnitingCare Health Group executive director Richard Royle. The review had delved into significant concerns about the progress and implementation of the PCEHR.
The Royle report was said to have provided a “comprehensive plan for the future of electronic health records in Australia”.
Mr Dutton said the government would consider the review recommendations, including changing the system to an opt-out model, and would respond in “due course”.
The Department of Health then began consulting with stakeholders on the implementation of the review’s recommendations, aided by Deloitte. The purpose was to “influence the system design, implementation schedule, and the planning for communication, education, and risk management,” Deloitte told stakeholders last year.
However, the government has nothing to publicly show for its work to date and Health Minister Sussan Ley is making no apologies.
More than two million consumers have an e-health record, including 171,117 first registered as newborns. Clarifying media reports over PCEHR figures, a spokeswoman for Health said as of late March more than 5000 general practices registered, with 10,811 individual clinicians have been linked to the PCEHR by their registered organisation.
She said on average 500 unique healthcare providers viewed documents on the system each month.
The full article is found here:
Leaving out the political blame game which we so often seem to see these days (read the full article for all that!) it is clear that given there are about 91,000 medical practitioners in Australia ( with 35% GP and 35% Specialists so 60,000 + active clinicians) the usage of 500 of 60,000 possible users per month is hard to describe as active (less than 1%).
Here is the source of the stats:
Just where is the proper audit and evaluation that provides some really useful facts about the value and clinical impact of the PCEHR. The best - which is totally anecdotal is found there - and for such an expensive project is hardly adequate.
Someone needs to quickly admit that having been operational for almost three years the time to cut the PCEHR loose has well and truly arrived! That might just be Ms Ley! The time has really come!
Posted by Dr David G More MB PhD at Tuesday, April 21, 2015