Wednesday, January 20, 2016
It Really Looks Like There Is Going To Be Major Pushback On The Government ePIP Proposals.
While we were all having a break this little storm was brewing:
13 January, 2016 ||
GPs will have to upload shared health summaries to the PCEHR in return for e-health PIP payments, Australian Doctor has been told.
Leaked details on the new requirements of the E-health Practice Incentives Programme emerged last month following a consultation by the Federal Department of Health in September.
It is understood that under the revamp, each practice will be required to upload a shared health summary onto the PCEHR for 0.5% of its standardised whole patient equivalents (SWPEs) each quarter.
Australian Doctor has been told this would mean each GP creating and uploading around five shared health summaries per quarter for the practice to meet the new requirement.
A key element of the PCEHR system (now renamed the MyHealth record), the summaries are meant to provide clinical information for health professionals across the health system, including for doctors working in ED.
The summaries include the patient’s current diagnoses and medications, as well as allergies and immunisations.
Australian Doctor has been given no official confirmation from the Federal Government of the new rules, which are due to be in place in May this year.
However, the RACGP last year said it could not support any move for GPs or practices to hit fixed targets for shared summaries, claiming the changes would be “misaligned, ill-timed, superficial, will not support meaningful use”.
There is also more coverage here:
15 January 2016
GOVERNMENT plans to tie e-health practice incentive payments of $50,000 a quarter to GPs uploading a specified number of shared health summaries leaves "the door wide open" for "gaming the system", the RACGP says.
Under changes flagged in a Christmas Eve email from the Department of Health, practices will need to upload a shared health summary for 0.5% of the their "standardised whole patient equivalent" per quarter to maintain ePIP eligibility.
The RACGP says the policy misses its target because it aims incentives at practices rather than practitioners.
"Practices cannot directly influence the actions of practitioners," says chair of the college's expert committee on eHealth and Practice Systems, Dr Nathan Pinskier.
“If you fail to fulfil [a] requirement because the practitioners don’t want to do it or are unable to... then the practice will forfeit the whole of its ePIP payment.”
Practices will hit likely hit targets by uploading the “easiest” shared health summaries, which may in themselves not be useful information but “just achieving a statistical result”, he says.
14 January, 2016 ||
Practices will lose their entire e-health Practice Incentive Program payment if their GPs refuse to upload shared health summaries to the PCEHR, the Federal Department of Health has confirmed.
On Wednesday it emerged that the E-health Practice Incentive Porgramme requirements will be revamped.
From May, each practice will have to upload a shared health summary for 0.5% of its standardised whole patient equivalents (SWPEs) each quarter.
Australian Doctor has been told this would mean each GP creating and uploading around five shared health summaries per quarter for the practice to hit the target.
However, the health department says failure to hit the target will mean practices being denied the entire incentive payment — even if they meet the four other e-health PIP requirements.
The RACGP has blasted the reform, saying that practices cannot force GPs to upload the summaries.
Dr Nathan Pinskier, chair of the RACGP expert committee for eHealth and Practice Systems, said: "It is a serious concern. The e-health PIP is there to support practice IT infrastructure. It is not a payment to GPs in the practice.
What to say. The RACGP does not like the plan and the requirement to upload is so low that there will be no perceptible clinical impact for years - if ever and the bar for payments is set so low a caterpillar could make its way over!.
More amusingly we see the DoH attempting a form of so called ‘Meaningful Use’ (which they really don’t know what it means) just as the US is giving it up. See here:
New regulations aimed at value-based payment models demand a more streamlined regulatory approach, acting administrator tells audience at J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference.
By Mike Miliard
January 12, 2016 04:32 PM
The meaningful use program is on the cusp of major changes, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Acting Administrator Andy Slavitt said late Monday, adding that 2016 would likely see the end of the program altogether.
The Medicare Access & CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015, with its emphasis on a new Merit-Based Incentive Payment System and alternative payment models, demands a new streamlined regulatory approach, he said, speaking at the J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference in San Francisco.
Slavitt also posted the news on Twitter on Monday.
Lots more here:
Talk about policy incoherence!
Posted by Dr David More MB PhD FACHI at Wednesday, January 20, 2016