In order to achieve the highest participation possible in the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs, ONC and CMS are working together on a coordinated outreach and education campaign directed at providers and hospitals. Our approach is two-pronged and involves distributing critical information and materials nationally, while focusing on local communities to engage audiences where they live and work. We’ve already started collaborating with stakeholders and the media to distribute materials and established a strong online presence through social media.
- The transition to health IT;
- How to access their health information;
- The benefits of leveraging health IT tools to better manage their health; and
- Privacy rights to access and protect their health information.
- Barriers to adoption and health information exchange
- Support for further harmonization of standards
- Support for the inclusion of providers not eligible for incentive payments under the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs in information exchange for purposes of care coordination
- Need to address accessibility
- Concern that the private sector was not engaged in learning about efforts of the health care system