- Karen Scott
- Patrina Ha Yuen Caldwell
Parents looking for information
Where to look
- aimed at consumers and funded or supported by state and federal health departments (raisingchildren.net.au and healthdirect)
- operated by public health institutions such as major teaching hospitals (The Sydney Children’s Hospitals Network and The Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne), state and federal health departments (NSW Health), government organisations (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) and universities
- operated by not-for-profit charities, foundations and professional societies (National Asthma Council Australia and ReachOut)
- approved by reputable online health accrediting organisations (Health On the Net) or featuring their logo (Mayo Clinic).
- written by qualified health professionals
- based on evidence-based research or the work of an expert panel (it’s helpful if the website cites the source of its information)
- aimed at giving consumers information (such as Choosing Wisely Australia)
- balanced, unbiased and unemotional
- up to date, listing a recent revision date
- separated from advertising
- funded and any funding is declared.