Cyber crime rising – 61% of all data breaches are criminal
Of the 131 criminal or malicious breaches, 87 were the result of cyber criminal activities including:
- tricking employees into disclosing sensitive information or passwords (“phishing”);
- electronic ‘break-ins’ (“hacking”);
- introducing malicious software into a business to damage it or hold data to ransom (“malware” or “ransomware”);
- automated guessing of customer or employee system logins (“brute force” attacks) and;
- a number of incidents where the methods used by the criminals remain unknown.