Quote Of The Year

Timeless Quotes - Sadly The Late Paul Shetler - "Its not Your Health Record it's a Government Record Of Your Health Information"

or

H. L. Mencken - "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

Thursday, September 30, 2021

A Useful Summary Of The Privacy Commissioner’s Views On The Requirements For Accessing #myHealthRecord Information.

I noticed this recently:

My Health Record

My Health Record is an electronic summary of a patient’s health information. A registered healthcare provider organisation may view or add health information (such as diagnoses, treatments, medications and allergies) to a patient’s My Health Record as long as they follow their access controls.

Using the My Health Record system

8 September 2021

A healthcare provider organisation must register to use the My Health Record system, which contains a summary of a patient's health information.

Read more: Using the My Health Record system

Handling information in a My Health Record

8 September 2021

A healthcare provider organisation registered to use the My Health Record system is authorised to collect, use and disclose health information to provide health care to a patient.

Read more: Handling information in a My Health Record

My Health Record access controls

8 September 2021

The My Health Record system’s access controls allow an individual to restrict who can access their My Health Record and which documents they can view.

Read more: My Health Record access controls

My Health Record emergency access function

30 June 2021

This privacy guidance is intended to assist healthcare providers to understand their privacy obligations when using the My Health Record emergency access function.

Read more: My Health Record emergency access function

My Health Record emergency access function FAQs and flowchart

8 September 2021

These FAQs and flowchart have been developed to help guide use of the emergency access function.

Read more: My Health Record emergency access function FAQs and flowchart

Here is the link:

https://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/guidance-and-advice/my-health-record/

I thought it was useful to pass this on for those who might not be totally sure what was OK.

David.

 

7 comments:

Bernard Robertson-Dunn said...

"A My Health Record is an electronic summary of a patient’s health information."

It isn't. This is the big lie.

A better description is:

"My Health Record is a system where you, as a patient, can create an electronic summary of some of your health information.

It will contain little or no historical information regarding your previous health experience.

It requires you to talk with your GP who is the only person who is authorised to create and upload a brief summary of your health status. Unless you have been visiting your GP exclusively since birth, they will have only a limited knowledge of your previous illnesses, conditions and treatment.

You will need to inform and agree with your GP what you want your shared health summary to contain.

Your My Health Record may also contain tests results and/or discharge summaries uploaded by others. Be aware that these could be misleading without a wider context such as previous tests and the reasons for the tests or the hospital visit.

Your My Health Record may contain information about immunisations, however they will only be those currently in the Australian Immunisation Register.

There is also a place for allergies, however, be aware that any information you provide may be considered by health service providers as being unreliable.

It is your record and requires you to ensure that what is in it is up-to-date and accurate. If your health changes it is up to you to keep it current. If you become seriously ill and unable to manage your My Health Record it would be advisable for someone else to keep it current.

If you don't keep it accurate, and have not arranged for someone else to manage it for you there could be problems and delays in you getting future healthcare."

Obviously this is a less snappy description but it is far more accurate than the sales pitch currently being used.

Anonymous said...

All true and correct Bernard; so much for the My Health Record.

But, cannot the same be said of the Cancer Record which was recently launched by the Austin Hospital and covered in this blog ? last week? The Austin and their patient cohort seem to 'swear by' the usefulness of the Cancer Record. What do you say to that?

Bernard Robertson-Dunn said...

I know nothing about the cancer record.

I do know that I had some blood tests recently and I ticked the Do Not Upload to My Health Record.

I just had a look at MyHR and lo and behold, there they were. So much for privacy controls.

I decided to have a look at them. There were four separate documents. When I clicked on each it downloaded a file called

As each file had the same name I now have seven files getPDFContent.pdf and getPDFContent(1).pdf -> getPDFContent(6).pdf (yes seven, because I clicked on some twice)

This is not exactly user friendly.

It's screamingly obvious that this is a system built by technologists with no understanding of its use as a clinical incormation system.

It's possible that the user experience is different when viewed through a GP's clinical system but when it comes to the poor patient it leaves a lot to be desired.

Anonymous said...

My Health Record sounds about as useful as that Covidsafe app that Scotty told us would be so useful:

The COVIDSafe app has cost $9m to date, but it hasn't uncovered any close contacts during the current outbreaks
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-30/covidsafe-app-cost-hasnt-uncovered-close-contacts-2021-outbreaks/100499870

The federal government's COVIDSafe mobile app has not helped uncover close contacts during current COVID-19 outbreaks, the ABC has confirmed.

COVIDSafe has only identified 17 close contacts that weren't found by state officials since the start of the pandemic

NSW and the ACT haven't accessed any data from the app during the current outbreaks

States and territories have instead relied on their own QR code technology

The multi-million-dollar COVIDSafe app was touted as a critical tool to help contact tracing when it launched last year, but has faded from the public consciousness.

...

The government has a lot in common with antivaxxers and flat earthers - they deny what those who actually know what they are talking about are saying.

And look very foolish. It would be laughable if it wasn't so serious

Sarah Conner said...

I do know that I had some blood tests recently and I ticked the Do Not Upload to My Health Record.

I just had a look at MyHR and lo and behold, there they were. So much for privacy controls.

I wonder Bernard how much a lack on compliance directly relates to the ADHA claim back in May of an increase of 200k new record created. Noting it was a hollow a claim os the person who made it.

Bernard Robertson-Dunn said...

Sarah,
Do you believe any of ADHA's claims?

Sarah Conner said...

Bernard,
As a public funded entity I do like to assume they are not lying. Can they be misleading?overly complicated and obscuring? Absolutely.

Which is a shame, there are enough positives and truths to be communicating, the obsession with the My Health Record is distracting. Please the fixation with the fax has faded.