Tuesday, May 16, 2017
Here Is A Salutary Tale For Those Who Are Confident In The Privacy And Security Of The myHR.
This appeared a few days ago.
Published: May 13 2017 - 10:52AM
A former job centre employee upset her co-worker had ended their extra-marital affair is accused of illegally accessing his new mobile phone number in order to harass and threaten him
Brooke Holmes, who now runs F45 Training at Shellharbour, is accused of repeatedly ringing the man after he ended their 12-month relationship in 2014 and threatening to divulge their affair to her husband.
Ms Holmes also allegedly phoned the man's new girlfriend, telling her they were still sleeping together and that he was the father of her unborn child.
Documents presented to Wollongong Local Court on Friday said Ms Holmes was working for ORS Group at the time in a role that gave her access to the restricted Employee Services System, which contained personal information including addresses and contact details for job seekers.
The court heard Holmes and the victim, who also worked for ORS Group, had an affair between mid-2013 and mid-2014. He left the company in February 2015, saying he was forced to repeatedly change his mobile phone number to avoid calls from Ms Holmes.
He told police he only disclosed the new numbers to a few people and organisations, including his job service provider, MBC Employment Solutions.
As every security specialist will tell you the weakest link in all these systems is the people with access to privileged information.
I wonder how many staff are involved in the myHR, have pretty complete access to the system and have some family ructions going on at any one time? I am sure the number is not zero!
A word to the wise – keep your private health information to your self – as this blogger advises.
And you should opt out of it as soon as you can, freelancer Asher Wolf writes.
I love me my internets. Love ’em. Datalove, cyber-hippies, instant-data-transfers, crowdsourced decision-making, OpenGov, making shiny cyber-societies of transhuman wealth and immortality, and all that shit. Share your selfies, encrypt your hearts! Etc, etc, etc.
But every so often in the government’s search for INNOVATION! and CYBER! a shitty proposal rears its head that’s so utterly noxious that I feel the need to wave my wooden spoon around: Bad government! Bad!
As some of you may have noticed, the 2017 federal budget contains a proposal to roll-out e-health to all Australian citizens.
Let me just pop on my mask and robe and take the form of prophetess of digital doom for a moment …
We know the Australian government has one of the worst records of data breaches in the world. So naturally, rather than addressing their incompetencies, the Australian government has decided to roll out an e-health record for every Australian citizen. And it’s opt-out only.
Yes, you heard right. The Australian government plans to create an e-health profile for every Australian citizen and upload sensitive health data for inter-departmental sharing via the internet.
(Side note: My Health Record, the name of the scheme in question, was formerly known as the PCEHR, but it’s been renamed because everyone pretty much hated on the PCEHR, and the government thought they’d better rebrand before attempting to roll it out again.)
Of course, unlike everyone else, the Australian government thinks their e-health framework is a great idea, because if ignorance were bliss, they’d be the happiest bunch of pricks on Earth.
There’s absolutely no way this e-health proposal could go wrong, right? Centralising all sensitive data, placing it in the hands of government … because this government would never share the confidential data of a private citizen who threatens their stance, like, say when Minister for Human Services Alan Tudge released the Centrelink data of Andie Fox last month when she criticised faulty data-matching robo-debts?
Yes sir-eee, what could go wrong?
Lots more here:
Now don’t say you have not been warned!
Posted by Dr David G More MB PhD at Tuesday, May 16, 2017