There is also good coverage here:
Justin Hendry, the author or the article in itNews, also points out the the Aust. Tax Office will be the key identity manager and custodian of the Digital Identities.
This comment is also interesting:
"The identity provider is one of two platforms that underpin Govpass, the other of which is the exchange.
The exchange is the gateway that will be used to verify an individual’s credentials without revealing their identity to service providers. It will be operated by DHS."
Behind these is a press release of June 12, 2018 (and a NPC Address).
Delivering Australia’s Digital Future
- Australia to be a world leader in digital government by 2025.
- Most government services to be available online, improving convenience and efficiency for citizens and business.
- Trials to begin in October of new digital identity solution to enable secure access to online services.
- The release of a new Digital Sourcing Framework which includes a set of key principals to ensure fair, effective and efficient ICT procurement,
- Consultation on a new Portfolio Panel policy to simplify procurement, and
- Expanding the Digital Marketplace to include a new Training Marketplace which will be launched later this month.