Quote Of The Year

Quote Of The Year - Paul Shetler - "Its not Your Health Record it's a Government Record Of Your Health Information"

Wednesday, November 07, 2018

Labor Responds To Greg Hunt - Better But No Cigar

Here is the release:

Wed, Nov 7, 2018 12:39 PM

MY HEALTH RECORD RESCUE PLAN 

CATHERINE KING

https://inbox.news/newsroom/press-releases/4186/my-health-record-rescue-plan 
The Liberals are finally moving to clean up their My Health Record mess- by adopting Labor’s proposed changes - but they still need to act and extend the opt-out period.
This has been an absolute debacle and Australians need more time to understand the changes.
These changes have been made with only days left until the opt-out deadline closes.
The Liberals created this mess by shifting from an opt-in system to an opt-out system without making the necessary legislative fixes – and without explaining this fundamental change to the Australian people.
When controversy first erupted in July, the Government insisted there was nothing wrong with the system.
Under intense political and public pressure they eventually put forward a bill that was woefully inadequate.
When Labor called for a comprehensive Senate inquiry into the e-health record scheme - to identify all the potential privacy and security concerns - Minister Hunt dismissed it as a “stunt”.
And when Labor proposed six sensible amendments to restore public trust and confidence in this important health reform, Minister Hunt refused toengage with us.
Labor’s blueprint - announced in October - included tougher penalties for breaches of the act; changes to address concerns around domestic violence and employer access; and better safeguards to prevent the privatisation and commercialisation of the system, including through private health insurer access.
Now - with just a week to go until the end of the opt-out period - Minister Hunt has realised we were right all along and is scrambling to implement our fixes.
We will study the detail of the Government’s amendments in the coming days to make sure they haven’t botched this too.
But Labor also remains concerned about the Government’s timetable.
Because the Government’s exiting legislation will need to be amended, it will need to be sent back to the lower house for approval - and the lower house doesn't sit again until 10 days after the opt-out period ends.
We once again call on Minister Hunt to heed Labor's call for a further extension to the opt-out period.
We also call on the Government to commission a Privacy Commissioner review to address outstanding privacy concerns about system settings.

-----

 We hardly have consensus just yet!

David.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It takes time for info on the changes to get to the public, let alone through state hospital elearning systems etc - extending opt-out seems inevitable.

AMA has been pushing for an extension since the Senate report came out. CHF calling for it now too - previously they'd just said that no records should be created until the legislation is passed https://chf.org.au/media-releases/my-health-record-must-have-bipartisan-support

Anonymous said...

And there are four at ADHA that need to take the wrap for this mammoth failing, the CEO, COO, National Digital Services Exec, to a lesser extent the CMO. It is quite remarkable the money these people have pulled from the public purses.

Anonymous said...

Only 4?

Anonymous said...

I am currently on hold on the opt out phone line to shut down my My Health Record and have been told numerous times by the recorded voice that they are "experiencing high volumes of calls".

Anonymous said...

Still on hold with My Health Record, over half an hour now. I'm taking the time to do a spot of housework. Could be worse, it could be the Centrelink phone line. No house needs that amount of cleaning.

Anonymous said...

Got through to the opt out phone line after 3/4 of an hour on hold and a lovely chap "deactivated" my MHR.

He said my record is now archived and can be accessed by me through an FOI request or others with a court order. What?

Apparently I need to make sure I don't unknowingly or accidentally sign any form at a hospital or GP practice that contains permission for them to set one up for me. What?

He also said that instead of the two weeks they were originally promising, it will take one to two months for me to receive a letter of confirmation that my MHR has been deactivated due to the large numbers being processed. What? (No option to have it emailed.)

He also said he couldn't say if deactivated records will be deleted once the legislation is passed. So presumably those of us who want our My Health Records to be deleted will need to call up again once the legislation is through and the system is able to do so.

Anonymous said...

Let me know how you get on my neighbour is having the same issue

Anonymous said...

@6:08, if it is anything like HealthEngine don’t be surprised if you account stays active, I cancelled mine 5 months ago and HealthEngine have failed to deactivate it.

The Agency can be sued

Anonymous said...

Would you trust this lot with a National records system? They cannot even handle a couple of straight forward FIO requests. What a shambles - https://www.righttoknow.org.au/request/opt_out_application_numbers_for#incoming-13404

Anonymous said...

Re: Call Centre. A caller mentioned this site yesterday. The challenge we at the call centre are facing is the ADHA has cut back the number of agents answering calls to the optout number and the call volume has increased ten-fold. If you do call (and this is a minority of people) please understand we are only call centre agents and not responsible for the system. I empathise with those out there who are opting out, as I have also opted out. Just don’t take it out on us, the ADHA is contactable and they are the ones implementing this system.