“Yet another wake-up call”: Privacy Commissioner releases new data breach report, with health sector top of the list
NSW Government criticised after hundreds of medical files found abandoned in derelict aged care building
- New South Wales Health says it is investigating the matter
- It says the site was accessed illegally
- ABC sources maintain the building was not secured
2. Paper breaches are messy but electronic breaches can leak much more data more quickly and typically do much more damage.
3. With recent evidence from here, Singapore and elsewhere (the US health system in particular) to be kidding ourselves the myHR is immune is simply placing our bum up and our head firmly in the sand.
4. The ADHA has not quite grasped that a breach, is a breach, is a breach and is playing silly semantic games.
5. When you have a lot of private systems handling health information there will be variation in the quality of the terminal security and at least some of those may be accessing the myHR with obvious implications. The ADHA does not talk much about this risk but it is there big time - as is human abuse of myHR data access by 'rogue' professionals.